Chapter 22

It was about 8pm. Bret had finally showed up and since he was there, Mrs. Olsen went to go feed Mr. Olsen and bring him back. Anne and James left for awhile, getting that drink James said he needed. Besides he needed to get away for a bit. Seeing K like that was really bothering him and he hated hospitals anyway. Sheila needed to go home, also, but would be back later with K's parents.
Bret had K all to himself. He was sitting right near the bed, one arm resting on the railing, his chin resting on his arm. His other hand was holding hers. He sang softly to her hoping she would open her eyes. Then he talked to her telling her about their tour schedule for awhile, then went back to singing. He had about sung himself to sleep as his eyes drifted shut, when he felt her fingers move. Bret's head jerked up, looking at K intently, stroking her her hand. "K, sweetie. Can you hear me?" Bret stood up and stroked her cheek. "Honey. Wake up. Open your eyes darlin' ," Bret said earnestly. Her fingers moved again. Bret kissed them.
I felt like I was in a fog. I couldn't seem to open my eyes. It was so hard and my head hurt so bad. I could hear Bret. Bret was here, I thought. He was saying things like "Wake up baby" and "K honey, I love you" and "Open your eyes sweetie". My heart was happy. Now if I could just open my eyes.
Oh...God...finally! I opened my eyes and saw three of everything. I blinked; trying to focus and I saw Bret's three beautiful faces.
"What happened," I asked, barely audible. "Where am I?"
"Honey, you are in the hospital," Bret said softly.
"Why," I asked, the only word I could formulate at that second.
"James said as you took off down the wave some other competitor took off at the same time.  We guess she didn't see you, and crashed. Her board flew through the air and hit you. James went in after you and saved you." I was too tired to respond right away and just squeezed his hand. "Your mom and dad and everyone will be back soon."
"Bret," I said weakly, "how come you're here? Busy. Can't see you off now," I finished sadly.
"Sweetheart. Don't feel bad. I feel bad. I couldn't get here any sooner, let alone not being there earlier. We'll just use this time to say goodbye instead. We are leaving about 4 am, so I have to go soon. I have a basic list of dates and towns (as he slipped a piece of paper in my hand) but I have no idea how easy it will be for you to get a hold of me and I will call when I can."
What Bret was saying was how busy he was going to be and what my stupid hurt head heard was I am not sure if and when I will see you again. Tears leaked from my eyes.
"K. Don't cry. It breaks my heart to see you cry."
I looked into Bret's violet eyes, memorizing his features, and whispered, "Kiss me." Bret tenderly obliged.
All of a sudden I felt sick. "Bret I feel sick. Is there a bed pan or something," I asked urgently. He found one of those bedside pans and he helped me lean over as I threw up. Then found me some water and gave me a sip. He then had a nurse come in to check on me.
"Nurse, she just threw up. Is that normal?" he asked.
"It can be. Sometimes head injuries cause nausea," She replied, checking all my vitals.
When my family and friends came back, Bret left, after saying goodbye to everyone. James stayed for a few minutes, teasing me as usual, but had to leave also. He had to catch a plane back to Seattle, as the band had a concert there tomorrow. Anne went with him to drive him to the airport. Sheila and my parents were still here.
My mom held my hand and said, "I called Andrea. She was very upset you were hurt. She said she was going to try to see if she could come see you."
"No. Mom. Tell her no. She doesn't need to come home. I'm fine. She needs to stay. She'll know what I mean."
Visiting hours were almost over. "Honey are you going to be OK here by yourself?"
"Mom, I'll be fine. I'm sure a nurse will call if something happens."
Mom and Dad and Sheila left to go home. The nurses came in to help me go to the bathroom and they needed to take some blood for some routine tests. And then I fell asleep. It was around 2 am when a noise woke me up. It was the doctor checking on me.
"Miss Olsen. I am Dr Hansen," She said. 'You are doing much better. How do you feel?"
'Ok. My heads still hurts, but my vision is better."
"That's good. We will probably keep you one more night, then you can go home," She said. Then Dr Hansen said , as she stood by the bed, "I didn't want to say anything in front of your family, since you are 18, but the blood test revealed that you are pregnant. Did you know?"
My eyes widen, my heart started racing fear, I felt myself blush, and squeaked out, "No."
Matter of factly she asked, "Have you had intercourse recently?"
'Yes, " I said quietly.
"Did you use protection?"
"Um (embarrassed) no, not the first time. He pulled out," I said.
"Unfortunately it only takes a leak on his part. Are you going to be ok with this? Do you want me to tell your parents for you?"
"No. No. I'm Ok. I'll take care of telling my parents. I will just wait till I get home."

"Ok. Just make sure to see your regular doctor." Then she left me alone to go back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment