Chapter 28

"Kat. Here is the layout for that article. I wanted you to take one last look and get your approval, before I send it on," I said, walking into her office and sitting down.
She looked it over and said, "Looks great. You're doing a great job."
"Thanks Kat," I replied. I didn't have a talent for writing but I did have an eye for art, so they put me into the graphic arts dept.
"So, how's the baby today," she asked in the 'women love babys' voice.
I smiled softly. "He's doing fine," as I rubbed my tummy.
"It's a boy! When did you find out?" she asked joyfully.
"Just the other day. The doctor gave us both a clean bill of health."
"Good, cause I was going to ask how YOU were doing. Are you ok? Do you need anything?"
"Oh Gosh, no. Kat, you guys are so good to me now. I almost feel guilty."
"I know," Kat said. "This is a great company to work for." Kat leaned towards her phone to call a secretary to come get the layout and take it to the printing dept. "Does the father know he's going to be a father?"
"No.He's on tour, becoming famous, and I love him too much to hold him back. I don't know when I will tell him, maybe when they get back from their tour," I said glossing over most of it. "I talked to him one time and broke it off. I didn't want to be a burden," I finished sadly.
"K," she said, "Really, you take too much on yourself. Well, go home and get some rest."
"Alright, Kat, I'll see you tomorrow," I said as I left.
I got into my new truck, a GMC Jimmy, actually. This job had enabled me to get my own place and a new vehicle. I was renting a 3 bedroom, 2 bath place on the beach in Venice. Anne and Crystal moved in with me. I got home, changed and made myself something to eat. I was always hungry, now that I was eating for two. Later on that night around seven, I went out on the beach and took a walk. I couldn't surf right now, so I would walk through the surf. I missed being in the water, this was the next best thing.
When I got back the the house Anne was home. "How was work?" I asked Anne, who had gotten a job at a nearby mall at Nordstroms, behind the makeup counter.
"Good. Busy. Valentines day is coming up," she said, plopping into a chair with a sigh. "I'm pooped."
"Me, too. Though I managed to get all my work done before the deadline."
"Just make sure you aren't overdoing it," she said overprotectively.
"There's no problem with that. Kat mothers me almost as much as you do," I said with a smile at her, wrinkling my nose. She reciprocated. We laughed.
**************
I was over at my parents house, waiting for them to bring Andrea home from the airport. With me being the size of a beached whale, I didn't want to ride in the car that long. The girls' tour had been a complete success. The record company was happy and already had plans for them to start a new album. Bon Jovi was happy, as they had discovered the girls and some of them were happy as they had ' discovered ' the girls. From all accounts Adri was dating Richie and Pam was dating Tico. Holly was just plain dating. Sheila and Alec were thinking of getting a place together. Wow, so many changes in the last year.
I heard the car pull up. Excitedly I looked out the window, then went to the front door and opened it. Andrea was already out of the car and on her way up the walkway.
"Andrea," I squealed, holding out my arms.
"K," she said hugging me. "My gosh, you're big. It's hard to hug you," she said lightly.
I know. I can hardly get around," I joked.
We all got inside, dad brought in Andrea's luggage. I decided to spend the night at my parents, staying in my old room. That would give 'Drea and me some time for girl talk........
"So, How are you doing, really?" Andrea asked.
"I'm fine. The baby is doing good. I have a great job and my own place," I replied auotmatically.
"K, don't be obtuse. I mean about Bret."
I didn't answer at first. It killed me to talk about it. "I miss him. And I still love him. Loved him enough to let him go. Besides I was going to tell him..once. But I caught him screwing some chick in a hall way when I went to see him in Vegas. I just figured it would be eaiser on him..and me, if he wasn't tied down to me," I said.
"Well, I think maybe you shoulda given him another chance. I've seen a lot on this tour and guys having sex doesn't mean anything. And they really don't do it all that much. Except maybe Gene Simmons," she chuckled, pausing a sec, then said sadly, "But K, I can see your point, though, Nikki and I aren't together. We decided to not be together to avoid any jealousies. We sorta had a fight awhile ago for just those reasons. We didn't want to fight or spend our days and nights thinking the other was being unfaithful."
"Wow. Andrea. I'm sorry," I said compassionately.
"It's ok, sis, I guess we are in the same boat," "Drea said.
"So, how are the girls?" I asked.
She smiled.  "Good. They all worked real hard on the tour. We have some time off to rest. Which I seriously need, then it's back to the studio for another album. They are talking of us headlining and maybe a European tour."
"Oh my God. Andrea that is so awesome. Are you happy? Is it all that you wanted or thought it would be?" I asked.
"It IS everything I thought it would be. We have been everywhere and we partied our asses off. Wish you could have been there Sis," she said.

"Sounds like you girls had fun. I am so happy for all of you. Wish I coulda been there too, for maybe one party. Oh well, maybe next time," I said wistfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment